“The mind is not a vessel to
be filled, but a fire to be
ignited.” – Plutarch
Delta Secondary School’s English Department provides a program for its students based on Ministry of Education guidelines. Our program provides opportunities for all students to:
• Comprehend and respond in oral and written forms
• Communicate ideas, information, and feelings using a variety of media
• Think critically, creatively, and reflectively
• Develop an evolving understanding of self and others
• Oral Language (Speaking and Listening)
• Reading and Viewing
• Writing and Representing
Within each of these three curriculum organizers (Oral Language, Reading & Viewing, Writing & Representing) there is focus on the purposes, strategies, thinking, and features that are appropriate for learners at the grade level. Clear, specific learning outcomes guide assessment and teaching; they are shared with students and parents to enable all to have common understanding of achievement expectations.
Delta School District: Language Arts
The Department offers a wide range of experiences for our students:
• Humanities 8
• English 9 or Humanities 9
• English 10 or Humanities 10
• English 11 or Humanities 11
• English 12
• Writing 12 – Interested? Find out more!
• English Literature 12 and English Literature 12 (Advanced Placement) – Find out more, click here!
• Communications 11 and 12 – limited placement upon recommendation by a teacher within the Department.