Educational resource materials necessary for participation in the educational program which is required for graduation shall be provided free of charge.
STUDENT FEES MAY BE CHARGED FOR:
- Goods intended for the student to take home for personal use or as a gift;
- Goods such as writing tools, calculators, student planners, exercise books, or other supplies and equipment for a student’s personal use;
- Supplies and equipment which are parents’/students’ responsibility, but are offered through the school as an optional purchase; such items do not require Board approval;
- Activities such as field trips, special events, and extra-curricular activities, where the fees are limited to defraying actual costs of transportation, accommodationg, meals, admission and equipment rentals;
- Rental fees for musical instruments;
- Deposits for educational resource materials such as textbooks, reuseable workbooks and novels, with the deposit being refunded in whole or in part upon return of the materials.
PARENTS AND STUDENTS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR PROVIDING:
- School supplies and equipment, for example, pens, exercise books, calculators, film, rulers, for the student’s personal use;
- Clothing, for example, gym strip, uniforms, for the student’s personal use;
- Safety equipment, for example, safety gloves and boots, for the student’s personal use;
- A musical instrument for the student’s personal use when enrolled in a course where students learn to play a musical instrument.
Where economic hardship is a barrier to participation, the school will work with parents and students to find alternate means to allow the student to participate. Questions regarding this process should be addressed to the Principal, counsellor or your child’s teacher.